Aggregator
Indianapolis man arrested for allegedly stalking, sending explicit messages to Fever star Sophie Cunningham
All Banks Pass Fed's Stress Test, Unleashing Latest Wave Of Dividends And Buybacks
In all the excitement over Micron's blowout earnings, we almost forgot that today was another Fed stress test day - which every bank passed with flying colors as usual - which in turn allowed bank to unleash a fresh flood of dividends and buybacks.
The biggest US banks boosted their dividends after passing this year’s Federal Reserve stress tests, a hurdle that even Bloomberg admits has "softened" in recent years as regulators hash out new requirements.
The results of the Federal Reserve Board's annual bank stress test confirmed that large banks are well positioned to weather a severe recession and able to continue to lend to households and businesses. Despite absorbing more than $708 billion in total loan losses under this year's hypothetical scenario, capital declined only 1.6 percentage points in aggregate, staying above minimum capital requirements.
"Today's results underscore the strength of the banking system," Vice Chair for Supervision Michelle W. Bowman said. "As we work to increase the transparency and accountability of the stress test, public feedback will help us continue to improve and instill greater confidence in the stress test and its results.
The Fed’s exam (the results can be found here), an offshoot of the 2008 financial crisis, showed that all of the banks examined would maintain enough capital to withstand a hypothetical economic downturn. All 32 banks tested remained above their minimum common equity tier 1 capital requirements during this year's hypothetical recession scenario, which was similar in severity to the prior test. The hypothetical scenario this year included a severe global recession with a 39 percent decline in commercial real estate prices and a 30 percent decline in house prices. The unemployment rate also increased to a peak of 10 percent, and economic output declined commensurately.
The review tends to set the tone for how aggressive banks are in returning capital to shareholders through dividends and repurchasing shares. It requires banks to consider hypothetical crisis scenarios and estimate the losses they might face based on their books of business. Yet as most banks have consistently passed the test, even those who suffered in the aftermath of the March 2023 bank crisis, the "test" has become more of a greenlight from the Fed to banks to release capital.
Sure enough, immediately after the results, banks proceeded to announce their shareholder friendly acts: JPMorgan increased its quarterly payout to $1.65 a share from $1.50, while Goldman Sachs raised its dividend to $5 from $4.50 after the results of the Fed’s annual review were announced. JPMorgan also authorized a new $50BN share-repurchase program effective July 1. Wells Fargo raised its payout to 50 cents from 45 cents and Morgan Stanley increased its dividend to $1.15 from $1.
The nation’s six biggest banks paid out more than $140 billion in dividends and buybacks last year, surpassing a record set in 2019. The firms collectively posted their largest annual profit since 2021 on the back of record trading revenue.
Unlike other years, the 2026 results won’t impact capital requirements as the Fed continues revising the tests to make them more bank-friendly. As a result of that decision “there is no expectation that the firms delay until a particular time the public disclosure of their planned capital actions through the third quarter of 2027,” the Fed said in a statement Wednesday.
Additionally, Bloomberg notes that this year’s test has limited impact because the Fed voted in February to freeze the current stress capital buffer requirements until 2027 as it continues to overhaul the annual exam. Last year, those requirements fell for many banks as the test was less stringent than in past years.
Tyler Durden Wed, 06/24/2026 - 18:00Jacob Misiorowski becoming clear NL Cy Young favorite amid dominant Brewers run
NRCC trolls Hakeem Jeffries with condolence flowers after socialist victories in NY Democratic primaries
American boy, 12, attacked by shark while swimming at Bahamas resort
Rod Stewart finally gives excuse for going to World Cup game day after ditching sold out California show
USMNT’s most likely Round of 32 opponent at 2026 World Cup revealed
NYC mice and rats are evolving — building immunity to pesticides and figuring out deadly traps: new, wild study
Rutte claims to Trump ‘your European allies have been there’ on Iran — as he flatters prez with ‘Trump Trillion’ chart
Jenny Mollen details ‘horror movie’ side effects of GLP-1 drug: ‘Blood everywhere’
Jenny Mollen details ‘horror movie’ side effects of GLP-1 drug: ‘Blood everywhere’
Senate Passes War Powers Resolution In Rebuke Of Trump Policy
The US Senate on Tuesday passed a war powers resolution - a symbolic rebuke of President Donald Trump which calls for an end to the US-Israeli war against Iran, and requires explicit authorization from Congress.
The Democrat-led concurrent resolution passed by a narrow 50-48 vote, seeking to constrain President Donald Trump’s ability to wage war against Iran. The measure had previously cleared the House of Representatives on June 3.
US President Donald Trump looks on as he stands in front of the VC-25B aircraft gifted by Qatar that will be used as Air Force One, at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, June 19, 2026. ELIZABETH FRANTZ / REUTERSThe resolution serves as a symbolic rebuke of the military campaign Trump launched against Iran on February 28. However, it lacks clear legal enforceability, as it does not require the president’s signature under the 1973 War Powers Resolution. A 1983 Supreme Court ruling held that such measures must be presented to the president for signature or veto to carry legal effect. The Trump administration has long maintained that the War Powers Act is unconstitutional and therefore not binding.
Tuesday’s vote came days after the Trump administration signed a memorandum of understanding with Iran that established an immediate ceasefire and outlined ongoing negotiations for a more lasting diplomatic resolution.
Democrats had made several prior attempts to pass a war powers resolution on the Iran conflict, but previously fell short in the Republican-controlled Senate.
“We’re once again going to put Republicans on record on whether they want this disastrous war - Trump’s disastrous war - to continue by forcing a vote,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said at a press conference before the vote.
Four Republicans joined Democrats in support: Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY), Susan Collins (R-ME), Bill Cassidy (R-LA), and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK). Sen. John Fetterman (D-PA) voted with most Republicans in opposition. Sens. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Dave McCormick (R-PA) did not vote.
Meanwhile, hawk are pissed over the MOU... Last week, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Roger Wicker (R-MS) told Reuters that he's concerned the framework Trump entered into "negotiates away" U.S. military successes against Iran, and unduly constrains Israeli military operations in Lebanon, the Epoch Times notes further.
In a June 17 post on X, Cassidy also criticized the memorandum as not doing enough to curb Iran's nuclear program while reducing military and economic pressure against Tehran.
"Before the war, the strait was open, Iran was being crushed by sanctions, and 13 service members were still alive. Now, 13 Americans are dead, families have paid billions at the pump, sanctions will be lifted, and the bombing has stopped," Cassidy wrote. "This is the worst foreign policy blunder in decades."
Trump has defended his handling of the Iran conflict and his decision to enter into the memorandum of understanding, which sets an initial 60-day window for continued negotiations.
"We didn't meet out of desperation, Iran did. They are FINISHED!" Trump wrote in a June 19 post on Truth Social. "We'll play out the 60 days. They get no money, not ten cents!
Trump has repeatedly threatened that military action could resume if Iran violates the current framework for negotiations. Large numbers of U.S. forces also remain in the Middle East, postured to potentially resume operations.
Sen. Roger Marshall (R-KS) voiced support for the deal in an interview with KCMO Radio, saying Trump chose "a path to lasting peace - not another forever war."
Tyler Durden Wed, 06/24/2026 - 17:40