Aggregator
Bethenny Frankel’s bag looks ‘inspired by an Hermés,’ but it’s $26 during Prime Day
Judge Blocks SNAP Restrictions On Sugary Drinks, Candy
Authored by Aldgra Fredly via The Epoch Times,
A federal judge on Monday blocked the USDA from restricting the use of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to buy sugary foods or drinks in five states.
Bags of candy on shelves at a Target store in Austin, Texas, on June 4, 2025. Brandon Bell/Getty ImagesU.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson issued the ruling in response to a lawsuit by five SNAP recipients challenging the Agriculture Department's (USDA's) issuance of waivers for Colorado, Iowa, West Virginia, Tennessee, and Nebraska that allow them to restrict certain types of foods that can be purchased under the program.
According to the court documents, the states sought USDA approval between April and August 2025 to conduct pilot projects that would waive the federal definition of food and exclude soft drinks and sugary food from SNAP benefits.
The USDA approved the requests, but the plaintiffs argued the agency lacked authority to approve the food restriction waivers.
In her ruling, Jackson said the USDA lacked congressional approval to waive the federal definition of food under the program.
"Congress defined what 'food' is supposed to be, and it did not authorize the agency to amend or waive the definition it enacted. It did not authorize the agency to cut types of food out of SNAP entirely," the judge said.
"It set out clearly the type of experimental projects that could be tested to address the unquestionably serious health issues attributed to the rise of obesity in the population in general and particularly the low-income population. But it did not invite the Secretary to ignore its directives by trying to advance those ends under the banner of 'efficiency' or administrative improvements."
The judge also said that while the federal government and states may seek to encourage healthier choices for SNAP households, they must do so through lawful steps.
Following the ruling, the USDA defended the move and signaled that it would continue pursuing restrictions on the use of SNAP benefits for certain foods.
"The idea that taxpayer funds should not be used to purchase junk food should not be controversial," a USDA spokesperson said in a statement. "USDA will not be backing down from the fight to Make America Healthy Again, including for families and communities reliant on SNAP."
Katie Deabler, senior attorney at the National Center for Law and Economic Justice, which represents the plaintiffs, said the ruling marked "a major step" in restoring essential food aid to SNAP households.
"This decision makes clear that the USDA cannot bypass the legal guardrails that establish how SNAP must operate across the country. It affirms that families deserve a program that works without confusion," Deabler said in a statement.
The USDA has so far approved food restriction waivers in 23 states, allowing them to restrict SNAP participants from using their benefits to buy products such as soda and candy.
Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins and Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. have supported banning food items deemed unhealthy from SNAP as part of the Make America Healthy Again agenda.
In June 2025, Kennedy called on all state governors to exclude sugary drinks from the SNAP program.
"Taxpayer dollars should never bankroll products that fuel the chronic disease epidemic," he said at the time.
Naveen Athrappully and Reuters contributed to this report.
Tyler Durden Tue, 06/23/2026 - 15:05‘Hacks’ star stormed out of Emmys after losing to co-star: ‘It was shocking’
‘Hacks’ star stormed out of Emmys after losing to co-star: ‘It was shocking’
‘I Will Find You’ Stars Sam Worthington and Britt Lower On Going To Great Lengths As Parents and Season 2 Hopes
Croatia vs. Panama World Cup prediction: Odds, picks, best bets for Group L showdown
BetMGM bonus code NYPNEWSGET: Get up to $1K in no-sweat tokens for Panama vs. Croatia
Is Cole Hauser Leaving ‘Dutton Ranch’? Debunking Those Rip Wheeler Rumors
Local businesses charge World Cup partiers thousands for offsite tailgates due to MetLife ban: ‘We had to jump on the wagon’
Red Sox invent new way to lose in shocking meltdown vs. Rockies
Iconic NYC bagel shop made famous by ‘Seinfeld’ is opening in Chicago
Becky Hammon won’t apologize for Jalen Brunson take — and tries to ‘piss off Knicks fans again’
Ras Laffan Explosion Threatens To Slow Qatar LNG Ramp, Goldman Says
A powerful explosion tore through Qatar's key natural gas plant late Sunday, killing at least 13 people and injuring 66 others. While the incident does not appear to have directly impaired LNG export capacity, it has certaintly raised the risk that Qatar may slow the restart of operations as a precaution.
The timing could not be worse. The blast at Qatar's giant Ras Laffan energy complex comes just a week or so after the US-Iran interim peace deal was signed and days after the Strait of Hormuz was reopened.
Latest maritime ship tracking data shows a notable uptick in transits of tankers and cargo vessels on the critical waterway.
Goldman Sachs energy expert Samantha Dart penned a note on Monday detailing how the explosion at Qatar’s Barzan gas plant in Ras Laffan does not appear to have directly affected the country’s LNG export capacity, but it has raised questions over whether Qatar Energy may slow the restart of export trains as a precaution, potentially tightening Europe’s winter gas balance.
Dart said the blast likely adds a one-month delay in the full ramp-up of Qatari LNG exports, relative to a base case of exports reaching 83% of capacity by the end of July, would reduce northwest Europe’s end-October storage level by about 4 percentage points to 70%, compared with a 74% base case.
Dart's four takeaways:
1. While yesterday's accident at Barzan, a Qatari natural gas supply facility that services domestic gas users, does not appear to have directly impacted the country's LNG export capacity, it has raised questions as to whether the pace of restart at Qatari LNG export trains might slow as a precautionary measure.
2. We estimate that a one-month delay in the full ramp of Qatari LNG exports (to 83% of capacity, net of the 13 mtpa under long-term damage) relative to our end-Jul26 base case would lower the NW Europe end-Oct26 gas storage fill by 4pp to 70% full (vs our 74% base case).
3. We believe such a scenario would lend only very limited (if any) incremental support to European gas prices vs our 41 EUR/MW 2H2026 forecast. This is because our implied end-Mar27 storage estimate, which would move to 28% (vs our 32% base case) under an average winter, would still be high enough to withstand a 1-2 standard-deviation colder-than-average winter
4. A scenario of a two-month delay for the ramp in Qatari LNG exports, however, to end-Sep26, would be more worrisome for winter gas availability. In this scenario, we would expect end-Mar27 storage fill 8pp lower vs our 32% base case, suggesting a risk of stock-out under a two-standard deviation colder-than-average winter. This increased risk of a NW Europe gas inventory stock-out would, in turn, likely support 4Q26 TTF closer to 50 EUR/MWh than to our 40 EUR/MWh forecast to reflect a higher probability that the market might need to rally towards 65 EUR/MWh ($22/mmBtu) to disincentivize Asia LNG demand
Any delay in Qatar’s LNG ramp-up would complicate the early stages of Hormuz normalization after being shuttered for several months due to the US-Iran conflict and would impact global gas markets, particularly the hardest-hit in Europe, where storage remains very sensitive to the pace of Qatari export recovery.
Professional subscribers can read much more on energy and the Hormuz chokepoint at our Marketdesk.ai portal.
Tyler Durden Tue, 06/23/2026 - 14:45US Senate Passes Housing Bill With Four-Year Fed CBDC Ban
Authored by Micah Zimmerman via BitcoinMagazine.com,
The U.S. Senate passed a sweeping housing affordability bill Monday night — and tucked inside its pages is a provision that could permanently reshape America’s digital currency landscape: a formal ban on a Federal Reserve-issued central bank digital currency through the end of 2030.
The 21st Century ROAD to Housing Act cleared the Senate 85-5, with Republican leaders insisting the CBDC restriction ride along with one of the most bipartisan bills in years. The House was poised to fast-track a vote as early as Tuesday, putting the measure on a direct path to President Donald Trump’s desk for signature.
The bill’s language is sweeping: the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System or any Federal Reserve bank may not issue, create, or circulate a central bank digital currency — directly or through any intermediary — through December 31, 2030.
It explicitly shields private stablecoins, carving out any “open, permissionless, and private” dollar-denominated asset.
Trump set the political foundation for the ban in January 2025, signing an executive order barring his administration from any CBDC activity, warning it would threaten “the stability of the financial system, individual privacy, and the sovereignty of the United States”.
New Fed Chair Kevin Warsh, who replaced Jerome Powell, has called a U.S. CBDC a “bad policy choice” — making the Fed and the White House, for once, aligned.
The crypto market, meanwhile, isn’t celebrating. Bitcoin was trading near $62,000 Tuesday morning — down more than 3.7% on the day — as a Nasdaq tech selloff bled into digital assets.
BTC has now lost roughly half its value since setting an all-time high above $125,000 in July 2025, and some analysts say the pain may not be over: at least one widely-followed technical indicator is pointing to a potential additional drop of 15% or more before a bottom forms.
Additional crypto Senate legislation in the worksThe CBDC ban is the latest piece in a three-part legislative puzzle the Trump-era Congress has been assembling.
In July 2025, Trump signed the GENIUS Act — the first federal stablecoin law in U.S. history — requiring issuers to hold one-to-one reserves, make monthly disclosures, and obtain federal licensing. The law essentially gave private digital dollars a legal green light at the same moment the government’s version was being blocked.
The third and most complex piece is still pending.
The Digital Asset Market Clarity Act — the industry’s long-sought framework for determining when a crypto token is a security versus a commodity — cleared the Senate Banking Committee 15-9 on May 14 and landed on the Senate Legislative Calendar on June 1.
Galaxy Research has put the odds of passage this year as high as 60%, but the clock is running out.
The bill needs at least seven Democratic votes to clear the Senate floor, and senators must act before August — when the legislative calendar effectively shuts down ahead of midterm campaigning.
Senator Bill Hagerty told Fox Business on June 18 that he hoped the Clarity Act could clear the floor in the weeks ahead. Without it, a key question — who actually regulates crypto, the SEC or the CFTC — remains unanswered heading into an election cycle.
If Trump signs the housing bill this week, it will mark the most concrete federal action against a government digital dollar yet.
The message from Washington is becoming harder to misread: private crypto has a seat at the table, and the Fed’s version of a digital dollar does not.
Tyler Durden Tue, 06/23/2026 - 14:25