Aggregator
NY school board VP allegedly kept videos of infants being sexually abused on his phone
Michigan’s trio of expected first-round picks confident former coach Dusty May can succeed in NBA
Mets forced to tweak Francisco Lindor’s rehab plan after rain washes away simulated game
DOJ sues New York over law barring federal agents from wearing masks
Liberty, Aces set to renew rivalry with Commissioner’s Cup final showdown looming
Tech giant Oracle sheds 21,000 jobs in a year as AI replaces some roles
13-year-old boy falls down waterfall of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at Disneyland
Flesh-Eating Screwworm Cases Rise To 15 After New Detections In Texas: USDA
Authored by Aldgra Fredly via The Epoch Times,
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) said on June 21 that three more cases of the flesh-eating New World screwworm have been detected in Texas, bringing the total in the United States to 15.
The latest cases involved a lamb in Crockett County and two calves in Edwards County, Texas. The USDA said in a post on X that it would immediately begin releasing sterile flies outside the affected areas in Crockett County following the new detection there.
According to the agency, the new cases in Edwards County were expected because they occurred within the current affected areas, where sterile flies were already being released.
“Because a fly’s life cycle is an average of 21 days, it takes multiple reproductive cycles for populations to die off following sterile fly releases,“ it stated.
”As such, we may continue to see cases occur in already affected zones—a sign that our surveillance is working.”
The USDA said it would continue carrying out “aggressive eradication efforts” alongside state partners, including deploying tens of millions of sterile flies each week in and around the infestation area.
On June 11, the Food and Drug Administration authorized the emergency use of generic nitenpyram for treating New World screwworm infestations in dogs and cats that weigh at least 2 pounds and are more than 3 weeks old. The drug is made by Felix Pharmaceuticals.
Acting FDA Commissioner Kyle Diamantas said in a June 11 statement that the agency has spent nearly a year preparing for the possible arrival of the screwworm in the country.
“As of today, under the Trump administration’s decisive leadership, the FDA has issued ten [emergency use authorizations] and three conditional approvals for drugs to combat this threat, and this count will continue to grow as we receive more animal drug submissions and unleash American regulatory speed,” Diamantas said.
New World screwworms are flesh-eating parasites that infect livestock, wildlife, and, in rarer cases, humans. Screwworm fly maggots burrow into the living tissue of animals, causing severe wounds that can be fatal.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at least seven people had died from screwworm infections in Central America and Mexico as of Jan. 20.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott also deployed all available state resources earlier this month to eradicate screwworms after the first confirmed case in South Texas on June 3.
The screwworm fly was officially eradicated from the United States in 1966 through a strategy primarily involving the release of sterile males, which mated with females, resulting in infertile eggs.
Tyler Durden Mon, 06/22/2026 - 21:45Tim Walz’s jab at Trump over Reflecting Pool draws fraud scandal backlash: ‘Sit this one out’
Gavin Newsom milks DOJ probe for donations — how he’s spending $14.5M war chest
Knicks’ second apron concerns loom over 2026 NBA Draft options
‘90 Day Fiancé’ stars Jenny Slatten and Sumit Singh defend their GoFundMe amid devastating ALS battle
‘90 Day Fiancé’ stars Jenny Slatten and Sumit Singh defend their GoFundMe amid devastating ALS battle
Iran Oil Exports Through Hormuz Hit Wartime High
While other countries line up on either side of Hormuz, hoping for clarity whether they actually can cross this time, Iran isn’t wasting any time moving its oil out of the Gulf via the Strait of Hormuz after the US lifted the naval blockade outside the chokepoint and the U.S. and Iran discuss a framework on a lasting peace deal.
Even as Western shippers and insurers remain wary of the conflicting signals about how open the Strait of Hormuz really is - after all it was opened once before just to close hours later and remain shut for over a month - Iran is rushing to evacuate barrels it wasn’t able to push past the U.S. blockade over the past two months.
At least three supertankers, carrying a total of 6 million barrels of Iranian crude, moved to transit the Strait of Hormuz early on Monday, in open AIS navigation showing Singaporean waters as a destination, vessel-tracking data compiled by Bloomberg showed.
That’s the most Iranian crude openly making its way out the key Iranian oil port at Kharg Island and into the Strait of Hormuz in a day since the war began on February 28, according to Bloomberg.
The three tankers seen entering the Strait of Hormuz outbound on Monday were signaling destinations offshore Singapore, a known ship-to-ship (STS) transfer area for Iranian crude before loading on the tankers mostly bound for China’s independent refiners, the so-called teapots.
The surge in Iranian shipments out of the Gulf and into waters near the Malacca and Singapore Straits would give Iran a lifeline to boost its exports that had suffered from the US blockade in the past few weeks.
Tyler Durden Mon, 06/22/2026 - 21:20